Sunday, December 27, 2009

"Heal" Small German Doll Necklace


Here is another piece I worked on during Christmas. When I was trying to decide what word seemed best, I thought of my aunt battling her illness so the word "heal" came to mind.

The necklace features a small German doll body that is over 100 years old. The wings are metal, and the entire doll centerpiece measures 1.75" x 1.75". I attached the body first by sewing her on the butterfly filigree with layers and layers of string (like a cocoon). Then I painted and sealed the "cocoon" with resin. The word "heal" on her chest is also sealed with resin. While the resin was still curing, I sprinkled on some mica flakes and glitter for some shimmer.
I hand wrappped the beads (both vintage and new), including two hand wrapped by me "eye of god" wraps that I learned how to create from the book Just Simply Charming, gifted to me for Christmas by my friend Bianca. I used steel and german wires, which will not tarnish or rust. Measures just around 18" long, but can be shortened. I listed the piece HERE on my site.

2 comments:

We appreciate your comments!